Following a two-day meeting with North Korean officials in Pyongyang, South Korean President Moon Jae-in’s special envoy returned to Seoul on March 6. The special envoy had dinner with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un on March 5 and a follow-up meeting the next day with North Korea’s high-level officials including Kim Yong-chol, the vice chairman of the Korean Workers Party (KWP) Central Committee.
Upon their return to Seoul, the South Korean delegation gave an announcement to the press that summarized the result of the meeting. According to this announcement, the North and South made a major breakthrough in the inter-Korean talks by agreeing to hold a summit as soon as late April of this year.
The following is a translation of the full press announcement by the South Korean special envoy to Pyongyang on the results of their meeting:
- 남과 북은 4월말 판문점 평화의집에서 제3차 남북정상회담을 개최하기로 하였으며, 이를 위해 구체적 실무협의를 진행해나가기로 하였음
- The North and South agreed to hold the third North-South summit at Panmunjeom at the end of April and agreed to hold working level meetings for this purpose.
- 남과 북은 군사적 긴장완화와 긴밀한 협의를 위해 정상간 Hot Line을 설치하기로 하였으며, 제3차 남북정상회담 이전에 첫 통화를 실시키로 하였음
- The North and South agreed to establish a hotline between the leaders of both sides to ease military tension and for close consultation, and agreed to have the first call before the third North-South summit.
- 북측은 한반도 비핵화 의지를 분명히 하였으며 북한에 대한 군사적 위협이 해소되고 북한의 체제 안전이 보장된다면 핵을 보유할 이유가 없다는 점을 명백히 하였음
- The North made clear its will to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula and clearly stated that if military threats against the North are resolved and the security of its system is guaranteed, it has no reason to possess nuclear weapons.
- 북측은 비핵화 문제 협의 및 북미관계 정상화를 위해 미국과 허심탄회한 대화를 할 수 있다는 용의를 표명하였음
- The North expressed readiness to have candid talks with the United States to discuss the issue of denuclearization and normalization of US-DPRK relations.
- 대화가 지속되는 동안 북측은 추가 핵실험 및 탄도미사일 시험 발사 등 전략도발을 재개하는 일은 없을 것임을 명확히 하였음. 이와 함께 북측은 핵무기는 물론 재래식 무기를 남측을 향해 사용하지 않을 것임을 확약하였음
- The North made clear that as long as talks continue, it will not resume strategic provocations, such as additional nuclear or ballistic missile tests. The North also confirmed that it will not use its nuclear or conventional weapons against the South.
- 북측은 평창올림픽을 위해 조성된 남북간 화해와 협력의 좋은 분위기를 이어나가기 위해 남측 태권도시범단과 예술단의 평양 방문을 초청하였음
- In order to continue the positive momentum created through North-South reconciliation and cooperation during the Pyeongchang Olympics, the North invited the South to send a taekwondo demonstration team and an artists delegation to Pyongyang.
By ZoominKorea staff
Featured News & Articles
Minjung Party lawmaker Kim Jong-hoon calls on the U.S. to engage in true dialogue with North Korea, as opposed to a business deal or a contractual negotiation. But in order for there to be constructive dialogue, the U.S. needs to re-frame its understanding of the conditions that compelled North Korea’s leadership to invite the Trump administration to talks.read more
As the minutes ticked down to last Friday’s extraordinary announcement from South Korea that President Trump would break with seven decades of U.S. policy and meet with North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, reporters and pundits were already throwing cold water on the idea. What’s to account for all the high-decibel liberal angst over an announced summit with North Korea?read more